Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Tasting notes and discussions
 The Whisky Forum : Discussions : Tasting notes and discussions
Message Icon Topic: An Easy Way to Find a Good Bottle of Bourbon Post Reply Post New Topic
zdevin

Quote zdevin Replybullet Topic: An Easy Way to Find a Good Bottle of Bourbon
    Posted: 05.05.2007 at 13:51
I've just launched a comprehensive rating system over at www.BourbonDrinker.com. You can rate bottles you like, but also see the average score of other bottles from the entire member base!

Please stop by, I'd love you hear your thoughts on Bourbon.

Regards,
Devin
Head Drinker
www.bourbondrinker.com
IP IP Logged
TNbourbon

Quote TNbourbon Replybullet Posted: 06.05.2007 at 20:10
Originally posted by zdevin

I've just launched a comprehensive rating system over at www.BourbonDrinker.com. You can rate bottles you like, but also see the average score of other bottles from the entire member base!Please stop by, I'd love you hear your thoughts on Bourbon.Regards,DevinHead Drinkerwww.bourbondrinker.com

Right after you stole your database from Straightbourbon.com, from which you've been banned for so doing? (An honest man would give SB.com credit for your listing.)

Edited by TNbourbon - 06.05.2007 at 20:13
Tim
IP IP Logged
zdevin

Quote zdevin Replybullet Posted: 17.07.2007 at 18:10
Tim-

When compiling BourbonDrinker.com's whiskey list I acquired data from all reliable sources I could find. Did I cite wikipedia, bourbonenthusiast.com, buffalotrace.com, heavenhill.com, bartonbrand.com, makersmark.com, liquor stores I visited... or any of the other countless sources where I found data? Of course not.
IP IP Logged
TNbourbon

Quote TNbourbon Replybullet Posted: 17.07.2007 at 20:30
Originally posted by zdevin

Tim-

When compiling BourbonDrinker.com's whiskey list I acquired data from
all reliable sources I could find. Did I cite wikipedia,
bourbonenthusiast.com, buffalotrace.com, heavenhill.com,
bartonbrand.com, makersmark.com, liquor stores I visited... or any of
the other countless sources where I found data? Of course not.

You should have. You might want to bone up on Fair Use Guidelines (Fair Use is generally applicable only to scholarship and review uses, not competing commercial/public enterprises) for copyrighted material (and yes, parts of SB.com ARE copyrighted), even from the internet -- if you quote it, you cite it and get permissions.
Those who saw it (and that includes me) recognized the point from which you started -- BEFORE any additions or alterations, your database was SB.com's own. It's the place from which you started. Changing it thereafter doesn't make lifting it acceptable.

Fair Use

Edited by TNbourbon - 18.07.2007 at 01:20
Tim
IP IP Logged
zdevin

Quote zdevin Replybullet Posted: 18.07.2007 at 02:32

I would just like to get back to the subject on hand!!! Sharing bourbon with friends!

But, since you suggested I brush up on fair use I’ll share a little bit of information about fair use and copyright of intellectual property. I don’t do this to be a jerk, or to be combative, but only because I DO understand fair use and copyright law---which states that factual data is not copyrightable, does not fall under fair use guidelines, and does not constitute intellectual property---no one owns exclusive rights to factual data! A list of bourbon varieties is no more copyrightable or protected by law than a list of these 50 United States!

From Wikipedia:

A more recent notion, proposing to expand the scope of exclusive rights to include databases, has been introduced by the EU in 1996. This is the idea of protecting the information contained in a database against re-utilization and extraction of substantial parts. This would be an additional right predicated on a substantial investment that would exist alongside the copyright in the database structure. This notion was opposed by the United States Supreme Court in 1991 in the Feist Publications, Inc., v. Rural Telephone Service Co. finding, which said that exclusive rights cannot cover the factual elements of any copyrighted work, that copyright does not derive from the effort expended in the production of the work, and that in the case of a collection of information, only the originality that may be found in the selection and arrangement of the information is governed by copyright. This case holds that the purpose of exclusive rights policy is to provide information to the public, and this consideration takes priority over concerns such as investment.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intellectual_property          

With that, lets all get back to the business at hand and all share a glass of Bourbon! I lift my glass to you TN for the great job that you’ve done at StraightBourbon.com.

If it will make peace between us I am more than willing to reach out my hand in friendship and make amends.

IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version