Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Tasting notes and discussions
 The Whisky Forum : Discussions : Tasting notes and discussions
Message Icon Topic: Blended whisky Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 2 Next >>
jamie

Quote jamie Replybullet Topic: Blended whisky
    Posted: 08.06.2007 at 21:56
why is it that when talking about whisky most people turn their nose up at blends? there is so many high quality blends available grants,famous grouse,teachers. maybe they are dismissed because they are so widely available. could it be the snob facter? does anybody know where they sell black bottle whisky? seems quite hard to get hold of in the south east.
jamie
IP IP Logged
eric m

Quote eric m Replybullet Posted: 08.07.2007 at 09:46
I like a good blend as i like a single malt only i prefer single malt above blends.Blends are made for big crowds and to make it acceptable they take a harsh taste as peat or smoke and try to minimalize it by mixing it with some sweeter malts from the speyside for example and dilute it with grainwhisky.It can work out good(JW Blue label,Grouse)but have you ever had Vat 69?Even mixing that with coke is a waste of your coke!And as long you have more bad blends than good ones i stick with malts most of the time.Ever tasted 6 Isles?It`s a blended malt with a very nice palate,the black bottle you mention is nice too and available here in good quantities only i`m not living in EnglandErmm.If you have difficulties in getting your favorites try the net.Good luck,Eric.
IP IP Logged
jamie

Quote jamie Replybullet Posted: 09.07.2007 at 22:45

I do agree that there are many poor blends on the market just designed to fill the supermarket shelves. My favourite malts are islay. I enjoy the heavy peat taste that you get with an islay, which is why i was after black bottle as it uses all islay malts in its blend. Does anyone know any other blends that use mostly islay malts. cheers.

jamie
IP IP Logged
eric m

Quote eric m Replybullet Posted: 10.07.2007 at 09:46
Well worth a try is 6 isles a blended malt catches all the good things of those isles.In Holland you have a blend called Glen Talloch it has a good balance and there is Islay in it,but i`ve never seen it on your side of the water.Eric.
IP IP Logged
jamie

Quote jamie Replybullet Posted: 11.07.2007 at 00:53

Thanks Eric  Wink

jamie
IP IP Logged
eric m

Quote eric m Replybullet Posted: 11.07.2007 at 14:24
Another one,which i haven`t seen it for a long time, is Islay Mist.I don`t know if it is still for sale.
Eric.
IP IP Logged
Bladnochsouth

Quote Bladnochsouth Replybullet Posted: 06.08.2007 at 12:54
95% of whisky sales world wide are blends. Only 5% is single malt, so it goes to show what most of us like!

Johnnie Walker Black Label is the most devine for me.
The one who used to know!
IP IP Logged
eric m

Quote eric m Replybullet Posted: 06.08.2007 at 13:37
It was a long time only 3% and now it is already 6% so it doubled in 10 years time,more people start to get the taste.Within 80 years or so we all be drinking single maltWink.
Eric.
IP IP Logged
Poit Dubh

Quote Poit Dubh Replybullet Posted: 27.11.2007 at 01:08
Eric, Islay Mist is still for sale in Scotland. I agree, it's nice.

I don't understand the snobbery surrounding the blends Vs Malt debate - if you like it, enjoy it! My dad always says 3 malts are all he can taste in one sitting, after that you might as well give him Paddy! (No offence to any Paddy lovers, he just happens to think it is the foulest rotgut known to humanity.)

Also, never turn your nose up at the opportunity of a dram of single grain whisky. Cameron Brig is a fine example and available here in the frozen north for a mere £16 for 70cl - a bargain and quite palatable.
Saor Alba a-Nis!!!
IP IP Logged
eric m

Quote eric m Replybullet Posted: 28.11.2007 at 11:44
Well i think people try to  look sophisticated by drinking single malt and say that blends are inferiour,it only shows their lack of knowledge and taste,i never had the opportunity to sample a grainwhisky but i expect them to be okay as well,i have no prejudice against it.
Eric.
IP IP Logged
Page  of 2 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version