Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Tasting notes and discussions
 The Whisky Forum : Discussions : Tasting notes and discussions
Message Icon Topic: Chill filtering Post Reply Post New Topic
S?Junk

Quote S?Junk Replybullet Topic: Chill filtering
    Posted: 27.01.2005 at 00:28
Hi

In recent times i have tasted several whiskies which are non chill filtered.

I know the concept of chill filtering, but I would be gratefull for a detailed description of the chill filtering process.

Salinte

S?Junk
IP IP Logged
alco

Quote alco Replybullet Posted: 27.01.2005 at 00:29
What is Chill Filtering?

The process of cold or chill filtering is routinely carried out on almost all bottled Scotch whisky, malt or blend. The process involves chilling the whisky down to a temperature of 4 degrees Celsius, which will bring out of solution certain types of compounds (mainly lipids), which are then filtered out of the solution. If this is not carried out, the compounds can come out of solution under certain storage conditions in bottle, giving the spirit an unattractive, hazy appearance.

Occasionally, if whisky is bottled at cask strength, this process is not carried out, and if water is added to such whisky in a glass, the whisky can turn slightly cloudy. There is no danger in drinking whisky like this, and indeed, true whisky aficionados will always say that this is the best way in which to enjoy scotch.

The process is, therefore, carried out solely for the appearance of the bottled product, particularly at lower strengths (e.g. 40% abv), at which the lipids more readily come out of solution.

Generally, whisky that has not been chill-filtered has more mouthfeel and, in some cases, can be slightly more full flavoured. It is as close as possible to drinking whisky "straight out of the cask."
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version