Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Tasting notes and discussions
 The Whisky Forum : Discussions : Tasting notes and discussions
Message Icon Topic: straight bourbon whiskey Post Reply Post New Topic
Mike

Quote Mike Replybullet Topic: straight bourbon whiskey
    Posted: 13.02.2005 at 01:25
hello.i just want to find out about this bottle i have recieved from my dad years ago.it is a unopened bottle of kentucky tavern straight bourbon whiskey/bottled in bond 100 proof.it has the dates made in 1940/bottled in 1944 4/5 guart.does it go bad and is it worth anything ?happy holidays to all.and thank you.
IP IP Logged
Tim

Quote Tim Replybullet Posted: 13.02.2005 at 01:26
No, high-proof distilled spirits do not 'go bad' -- at least not in full, sealed bottles. Near empty bottles (a bottle is never 'empty' -- the space is filled with air) can develop an 'off' taste from oxidation after years of exposure.
While your bottle certainly is interesting, about the only way to determine value is to offer it for sale -- for example, on Ebay.
Personally, I'd be tempted to purchase a recent Kentucky Tavern bottling (won't cost much -- it's a bottom-shelf brand) and compare the two myself. Consider it a bourbon history lesson as you contemplate the differences in taste and style between the older and newer bottlings.
IP IP Logged
whiskyportal
Admin Group
Admin Group
The Whisky Portal

Quote whiskyportal Replybullet Posted: 13.02.2005 at 01:27
hi Mike

If properly sealed the whiskey should be OK. If you contact www.whiskyauction.com (can be done through the contact page at The Whisky Portal) you can get a value for the bottle.

Best regards

Dennis
Dennis Klindrup
The Whisky Portal
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version