Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Tasting notes and discussions
 The Whisky Forum : Discussions : Tasting notes and discussions
Message Icon Topic: Eagle Rare, 1976 Post Reply Post New Topic
skos

Quote skos Replybullet Topic: Eagle Rare, 1976
    Posted: 20.11.2005 at 00:03
< =>  I found an old 750ml bottle of Eagle Rare, Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey I bought in 1976 and never opened.  It was distilled by Old Prentice Distillery, Lawrenceburg, Kentucky.  I also still have the original wooden box it came in.  Two questions:

1.  Is this of any collectible value?

2.  Is the whiskey still good?

IP IP Logged
TNbourbon

Quote TNbourbon Replybullet Posted: 21.11.2005 at 02:27
The bourbon will be fine, so drink up. Unless the seal was corrupted, it will be as fresh as the day it was bottled. High-proof spirits do not change in the bottle like wine does.
Are you sure it was purchased in 1976? I've never seen a metric bottle from a bourbon distiller prior to Fall 1977, and most of them didn't start bottling metric until the early '80s, including Ancient Age (aka George T. Stagg, dba Old Prentice, Distillery), which made that one.
Collector value is subjective. There is no large collector market for bourbon, though collectors -- I'm one of them -- do exist. However, many bottlings, including yours, were made in industrial-sized production runs and are not particularly rare, even today.
As a general comparison, for example, the most recent rendition of Eagle Rare 101-proof, 10yo -- which was recently discontinued, by the way -- sold at retail for about $20. If I saw your bottle sitting on the shelf beside it, I might pay twice that, but not more.
So, if you enjoy good bourbon, it may be worth more to you to just drink it.
Tim
IP IP Logged
skos

Quote skos Replybullet Posted: 22.12.2005 at 18:54
< => Thanks for the response.  I don't know that the size of the bottle is 750 ml, I just used the present day size in my original post.  I rechecked the bottle and it does not have any size indication on it, nor does the wooden box it came in.
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version