Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Where can I find...
 The Whisky Forum : Discussions : Where can I find...
Message Icon Topic: grants whisky Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 2
eric m

Quote eric m Replybullet Posted: 28.06.2007 at 11:56
What is exactly the difference between the Imperial and the American system?Eric.
IP IP Logged
TNbourbon

Quote TNbourbon Replybullet Posted: 30.06.2007 at 02:59
Well, I can't find a reliable citation for it to link to, but under the old Sykes proof system, 114 proof equaled today's U.S. 100 proof (or, 50% abv.)
There still are remnants of it here and there -- take, for example, the Old Grand-Dad 114 bourbon bottling still produced, now by the Jim Beam company.
In every country that I know of -- certainly, it's true here in the U.S., which explains Jack Daniel's recent reduction to 80 proof -- taxes are based on alcohol content. Thus, the lower the content the lower the taxes -- and the more profit made by the producer (because the price, you know, doesn't go down with the proof) -- per bottle.

Edited by TNbourbon - 30.06.2007 at 03:02
Tim
IP IP Logged
tdevil

Quote tdevil Replybullet Posted: 22.12.2007 at 23:48
under the (very) old customs procedures in the UK, proof spirit was that concentration of alcohol that just sustained combustion of gunpowder.  if a line of gunpowder wet with the liquid being tested continued to burn, then the liquid was "proved" and was subject to excise. this actually equated to approximately 57.2% alcohol and is accepted as "proof strength" in th UK. the americans, who just HAVE to be different (note the US gallon (3.79 litres) vs the imperial gallon (4.55 litres), the "short ton" (2000 lb) vs the ton (2240 lb - which is actually very close to the metric tonne (2204 lb)), decreed that proof spirit is 50%. hence the confusion
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 2
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version