Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Collectibles
 The Whisky Forum : Discussions : Collectibles
Message Icon Topic: bottles Post Reply Post New Topic
eric m

Quote eric m Replybullet Topic: bottles
    Posted: 25.02.2008 at 15:16
I`m just curious what open whiskies  you all have in your cabinet and than i mean what you drink and not what you collectSmile.Here`s my list;

Scotland
Ardbeg ,Ardbeg Uigeadail,Ardbeg 17yo
Dalmore 12yo,Auchentoshan 10yo,Laphroaig 8yo,QC
Bunnahabhainn 9 yo,Drumguish,Port Ellen 25yo,28yo,30yo
St.Magdalene 25yo,Oban distillers choice,Caol ILa 18yo
Scapa 12yo,Lagavulin 16yo,Springbank 10yo,Millburn 25yo
Glen Albyn 26yo,McCallan series 20`s 30`s 40`s 50`s
Dallas Dhu 40%,Bladnoch 22yo.
 Austria
Reisetbauer 7yo chardonnay&TBA barrel matured 43%&56%
New Zealand
Millford 43%
 Netherlands
 Millstone 5yo,Valley 3yo
 Ulster U.K.
 Bushmills red,black,16yo three woods
 Ireland
 Connemara 12yo,cask strength,Paddy`s,Powers 12yo
 Tullamore,Jameson
 U.S.A
 Elijah Craig 12yo,Old Potrero,Dickel,Schenley.
 Only these are open and taken regularly,the closed bottles i mentioning another time.What have you all got in your closet?
 Eric.
IP IP Logged
whiskyportal
Admin Group
Admin Group
The Whisky Portal

Quote whiskyportal Replybullet Posted: 01.03.2008 at 21:59

Hi Eric

That's almost a traumatic question! I have moved to a new house recently, and my whisky bottles are packed away Cry. I only have a few at hand (Talisker 18 YO, Cragganmore 12 YO, Longmorn 15 YO, Laphroaig 15, Glenglassaugh 1973, Hart Brothers Royal Brackla 18 YO, Glenmorangie Port Finish (the old), Makers Mark red seal, Krüger's Inchgower 1980), so I am feeling a bit handicapped. Give me a couple of months... and I can write a more convincing list Tongue

Cheers
Dennis
Dennis Klindrup
The Whisky Portal
IP IP Logged
TNbourbon

Quote TNbourbon Replybullet Posted: 04.03.2008 at 05:11
I 'collect' nothing. That's not to say that everything I own is open, but I don't have a bottle I won't open.
On the sideboard currently, I have 16 bourbons (mostly special bottlings, or out-of-production); 4 American straight rye; 2 Irish; New Zealand's Milford 10; 3 Canadian; 11 Scotch (10 single malt and 1 blended); 2 Japanese; 3 rums; 1 tequila; and misc. liqueurs.
I also have a dozen or so open bottles of American whiskey laid aside in boxes for sharing with other whiskey aficianados.
I have maybe 100 bottles on the shelves.

Tim
IP IP Logged
eric m

Quote eric m Replybullet Posted: 04.03.2008 at 11:00
Collect bottles the way i mean it,is to try them and expirience new taste and flavors isn`t that what we all do,also mine closed bottles will be opened i just await the proper occasion.Don`t think of me as a stampcollector please!
See that you have the New Zealander.What were your expectations of the MIllford?I could easily place it in the Speysideregion,it is a Scottish like whisky easy to drink.What is the blend you have?
Eric.
IP IP Logged
TNbourbon

Quote TNbourbon Replybullet Posted: 11.03.2008 at 00:34
Originally posted by eric m

See that you have the New Zealander.What were your expectations of the MIllford?I could easily place it in the Speysideregion,it is a Scottish like whisky easy to drink.What is the blend you have?
Eric.

Eric, I really didn't have any expectations, because I know so little about New Zealand's whisk(e)y history. I DO know that the largest South Pacific distributor of AMERICAN whiskey is Heaven Hill-New Zealand.
Anyway, because of the British colonial connection, one assumes Scotch-like, but that's not very definitive.
What I find in this Milford 10 -- which I understand is a rather ordinary, late bottling from Willowbank, among its last productions -- is a bit of a cross between young Island/Islay and Highland malts. There is some definite brine/iodine in the nose, along with a solid sense of malt. The sea sense continues onto the palate, much like, say, a Talisker 10, but without subtlety (and, that's not necessarily a bad thing!). But, there is also a leading sweetness that suggests the heathery Highlands. The finish is a bit on the medicinal/metal-sink side, though of medium-long length and not extreme.
It wouldn't be a favorite, even if I could supply it reliably, but I can enjoy drinking it.
How does that compare with your impression?
The blended Scotch I have open is a 'handle' (American slang for a 1.75L bottle) of Cluny, an inexpensive, but serviceable mixer -- mostly with ginger ale. Famous Grouse is a much more enjoyable blend, but at a higher price -- though not a prohibitive one).

Edited by TNbourbon - 11.03.2008 at 00:38
Tim
IP IP Logged
TNbourbon

Quote TNbourbon Replybullet Posted: 11.03.2008 at 00:40
Originally posted by eric m

Eric.

Eric, I really didn't have any expectations, because I know so little about New Zealand's whisk(e)y history. I DO know that the largest South Pacific distributor of AMERICAN whiskey is Heaven Hill-New Zealand.
Anyway, because of the British colonial connection, one assumes Scotch-like, but that's not very definitive.
What I find in this Milford 10 -- which I understand is a rather ordinary, late bottling from Willowbank, among its last productions -- is a bit of a cross between young Island/Islay and Highland malts. There is some definite brine/iodine in the nose, along with a solid sense of malt. The sea sense continues onto the palate, much like, say, a Talisker 10, but without subtlety (and, that's not necessarily a bad thing!). But, there is also a leading sweetness that suggests the heathery Highlands. The finish is a bit on the medicinal/metal-sink side, though of medium-long length and not extreme.
It wouldn't be a favorite, even if I could supply it reliably, but I can enjoy drinking it.
The blended Scotch I have open is a 'handle' (American slang for a 1.75L bottle) of Cluny, an inexpensive, but serviceable mixer -- mostly with ginger ale.

Tim
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version