Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Collectibles
 The Whisky Forum : Discussions : Collectibles
Message Icon Topic: How long does 'whisky' exist? Post Reply Post New Topic
Adella

Quote Adella Replybullet Topic: How long does 'whisky' exist?
    Posted: 20.07.2009 at 19:53
Dear All,

I'm from Aruba, an tiny island in the Caribbean and yes, I like whiskey all right, but cheap brands, expensive brands give me a headache! Wink

Not long ago, my brother went snorkeling and he came across a very old wooden box, where he retrieved a very old bottle of 'whisky'. I did some research on it, but didn't find much on the world wide web.

On the bottle is carved in the glass: AINSLIE'S WHISKY
And on the bottom: AINSLIE & HEILBRON the year 1495 some unclear numbers and letters and GLASGOW SCOTLAND

Now as far as my research goes, whiskey doesn't exist longer than the 1800's but if this bottle is really dated 1495 than I wonder...
We believe we can be confusing the 1495 with 1995 but then I must have found at least something on the internet... still not much!

So how long does whisky really exists????? Any suggestions?
IP IP Logged
scotchdrinker
Groupie
Groupie

Quote scotchdrinker Replybullet Posted: 20.07.2009 at 21:54
I am not sure how long Whisky has been around but I did find a link for you to look more into this brand. They have info on Anslie, if you do not find what you are looking for contact them.

http://bruggeman.waxinteractive6.com/en/interface10_content.htm

Also, there is proof that Whisky was around in the 1700's, I have a feeling what you have is not from 1495, you are probably right saying it is from 1995, but anything is possible. You may be able to get more infor from bruggenman.
IP IP Logged
eric m

Quote eric m Replybullet Posted: 22.07.2009 at 16:45
Bon bini Adella,there is (questionable)doubt,aqua vitea was recorded in 1494 when a monk John Corr made it for a king,also Irish doctors from a Scottisch king are noted for taking it to Scotland,frankly we are all guessing and don`t know for sure,perhaps time will reveal the truth.

Eric.
IP IP Logged
coolpal28

Quote coolpal28 Replybullet Posted: 13.10.2009 at 11:59
hey i hope your whisky will not be 1495... because that time it was not bottled. it came in to real existence after 1650. so i hope u should show it sm experts. Keep it as a collectibles..
tell me what u found..

Henry Roddrick
IP IP Logged
eric m

Quote eric m Replybullet Posted: 13.10.2009 at 12:15
It was first recorded around 1494 as aqua vitae(water of life)aka in Gaelic uisce beatha.The fact that it wasn`t bottled doesn`t mean it was not whisky of some kind.The legislation of what is whisky in Europe was starting in 1840 or somewhere around that time.

Eric.
IP IP Logged
goclarkanderson

Quote goclarkanderson Replybullet Posted: 31.10.2009 at 16:57
I don't know much about the fact but, I think you should show your whiskey to some expert.
IP IP Logged
Graciliano

Quote Graciliano Replybullet Posted: 05.04.2010 at 22:19
BBA there is (questionable)doubt,aqua vitea was recorded in 1494 when a monk John Corr made it for a king,also Irish doctors from a Scottisch king are noted for taking it to Scotland,frankly we are all guessing and don`t know for sure,perhaps time will reveal the truth.
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version